Mediterranean flavors and cuisine are always at the top of my list. Zesty lemon, fresh herbs, salty olives, yes please. I have been trying to learn more about Mediterranean flavors by trying new recipes like this Baked Mediterranean Chicken. I already had a few olives left over from tacos that I made late last week and a couple of chicken breasts in the freezer, so only had to pick up 1 red onion and some feta (which I found on sale at Lowes Foods, score!).
This recipe was easy to make and came together quickly. After 35 minutes the chicken came out of the oven cooked perfectly, but the best part of this dish is really the bed of lemony sweet red onion slices and olives. I severed this chicken along with Israeli couscous and a simple homemade tzatziki sauce.
- 2 lemons
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Red onion, cut into thick slices
- 1 cup pitted kalamata olives, whole
- 2 to 4 medium chicken breasts
- 1 tsp. Paprika
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- Crumbled Feta for topping
- Preheat oven to 450º
- Zest one lemon. Place zest in a large bowl and add 1 Tbsp. olive oil. Add in the red onion slices and kalamata olives. Toss to coat. Place onions and olives in the bottom of a baking dish
- Season chicken with salt, pepper and oregano then place on top of the bed of onions and olives
- Squeeze the juice out of the zested lemon over the top of the chicken and onions
- Sprinkle paprika over the top
- Add the zested and squeezed lemon rinds to the pan
- Bake uncovered for 35 minutes
Serve on a bed of spinach, topped with feta cheese and with extra lemon wedges for squeezing. Optional accompaniments: Roasted red peppers, pita bread with hummus, cucumbers or couscous.